Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Surveyor Corporation Surveyor SRV-1
Home Help Search Login

Surveyor Robotics Forum

Welcome to the user support forum for Surveyor SRV-1 robots, SRV-1 robot controllers and SVS stereo vision systems. To register for this forum, please send an email to support@surveyor.com which includes your desired forum user name, your registration email address, and a brief explanation of why you wish to join, and we will create a forum account for you.

Please note that there is a Search button in the forum toolbar for forum topics. Another effective search method for the entire surveyor.com site is to use Google, e.g. "xyz site://www.surveyor.com" where "xyz" is the search topic.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
uClinux default Kernel compile options (Read 4013 times)
Strix
YaBB Newbies

uClinux default Kernel compile options
02/18/08 at 11:33am

Hi,
I am compiling a uClinux kernel using the Blackfin Toolchain.  The SRV1 is supported in the toolchain but what are the default compile options (where can I find them)? Thanks.

IP Logged
Strix
YaBB Newbies

Re: uClinux default Kernel compile options
Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 6:58pm

when compiling BusyBox must be unchecked...I think this is a general rule for no mmu processors.

IP Logged
admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 02/18/08 at 7:37pm

I forwarded your questions to Martin (ICEbear) - he's done the work on the srv1 branch for the Analog Devices uclinux repository.  He is in Switzerland, but hopefully will respond soon.  I did get this response from one developer who has been working on Python support for the SRV-1 -

======================

the quick answer is:

make Surveyor/SRV1_default

The other option is to use 'make menuconfig' and select the SRV1 in
the 'Vendor/Product Selection' section.  After the default is built
you can browse through the kernel and app settings to see what the
defaults are as well as customize your image.

======================

Also, I think Busybox is okay - I'm fairly certain we had it in our test images.

SRV-1 Development Team
Surveyor Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
foobar232
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 02/19/08 at 7:41am

Busybox appears to be OK.  I compiled the SRV1 version of uClinux, and my image is using Busybox.

IP Logged
foobar232
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 02/19/08 at 10:18am

Strix,

There appear to be a number of config files in vendors/Surveyor/SRV1/, I'm not sure why there are more than one.  I'm poking around there at the moment to get ffmpeg and libjpeg compiled / figure out where they get compiled to so that I can tell OpenCV where its dependencies live.

IP Logged
admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 02/19/08 at 10:49am

Rather than developing another stand-alone info web page for uClinux, I installed dokuwiki on our server at http://www.surveyor.com/docs/ to more effectively capture and organize useful information.  There's further discussion of the effort here -

http://www.surveyor.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203446701

I'll try to get Martin and Christopher to help populate the uClinux pages

SRV-1 Development Team
Surveyor Corporation
Email WWW   IP Logged
Strix
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 02/19/08 at 2:35pm

Here is what the uClinux-blackfin guru said:

"you enabled the busybox cron applets ... dont do that as they dont work on no-mmu currently"  
I'm not sure what 'cron applets' are so I disabled the entire busybox app...
The entire string is here:  
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/forum/?action=ForumBrowse&am p;forum_id=39&_forum_action=ForumMessageBrowse&thread_id=25947

I hope this clarifies things a little...I'm very new at this but I'm motovated Smiley

IP Logged
Strix
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 02/19/08 at 2:50pm

Quote from foobar232 on 02/19/08 at 10:18am:
Strix,

There appear to be a number of config files in vendors/Surveyor/SRV1/, I'm not sure why there are more than one. I'm poking around there at the moment to get ffmpeg and libjpeg compiled / figure out where they get compiled to so that I can tell OpenCV where its dependencies live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

The important concept to use openCV is that it needs to be cross compiled. So on a linux O.S. with openCV un-tared in the openCV directory type this at the command line:
./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=bfin-uclinux

then after the program is compiled you need to follow the instructions here: http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=adding_user_applications

after doing this it should work...when my board gets here I'll see if it actually does work.

IP Logged
foobar232
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 02/19/08 at 8:11pm

Thanks for the threads.  I have read them, but I believe it's more complicated than that.  openCV is going to want blackfin versions of libraries such as ffmpeg to link against, and so we need to get those built.  Luckily, uclinux already has the source for most of the important ones included, and they can be built with the kernel via customizing the config.  Now I'm just struggling to get my modified version of the SRV config to actually build.  I'm running into this problem:

http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/tracker/?action=TrackerItemE dit&tracker_item_id=3675

Apparently I need to set my build type to FDPIC instead of FLAT, but I haven't figured out how yet...

Update:  That was just another kernel config option.  Looks like everything's building now.

« Last Edit: 02/19/08 at 8:27pm by foobar232 »  
  IP Logged
foobar232
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 02/19/08 at 9:09pm

Also, thanks for the busybox info.  I just got bitten by that too.  If you want to disable the cron stuff w/o disabling all of busybox, it's under something like busybox applications > misc. applications > crond, cron.  Now it's successfully built for me.

However, for some reason python started breaking my build when I switched to ELF, so I had to disable that too.  Don't know why.

IP Logged
christopher
YaBB Newbies

genius is just hard
work in disguise

Reply #10 - 02/29/08 at 11:50am

Ok, I now successfully built uClinux (untested image).  Something was looking for 'bfin-linux-uclibc-gcc' so I symlinked 'bfin-uclinux-gcc' to it and everything built.  Kinda a hack but it works.

Side note: Inside of the ncurses make tool (make menuconfig) you can search for things by typing '/' then your search string in the box that pops up.

Python is in 'Miscellaneous Applications' and cron is in 'BusyBox -> Miscellaneous Utilities -> crond'

There is another cron in 'Core Applications' if you want it in your image.

« Last Edit: 02/29/08 at 12:18pm by christopher »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print