Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Surveyor Corporation Surveyor SRV-1
Home Help Search Login

Surveyor Robotics Forum

Welcome to the user support forum for Surveyor SRV-1 robots, SRV-1 robot controllers and SVS stereo vision systems. To register for this forum, please send an email to support@surveyor.com which includes your desired forum user name, your registration email address, and a brief explanation of why you wish to join, and we will create a forum account for you.

Please note that there is a Search button in the forum toolbar for forum topics. Another effective search method for the entire surveyor.com site is to use Google, e.g. "xyz site://www.surveyor.com" where "xyz" is the search topic.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Navigation Board M3 (Read 3651 times)
PhaseSpace

Navigation Board M3
05/28/11 at 8:31pm

Good Day,

I recently ordered the navigation board. The more recent version is a bit different. It has a USB port for connecting directly to the computer, and can run in stand alone mode through the USB. It also has the addition of a 3-axis gyroscope.

Is the current firmware for the SVS able to use all the features of this new board?  

Is there a way to talk to the board to the board through the USB? I have a USB to I2C converter. Not sure if I would be able to get all the information about it out from there though.

Navigation board information can be found here:

http://www.ryanmechatronics.com/NavBoardM3.htm

There is also some nice software that will allow you to run the board off your PC. It really is a very good sensor package!!

IP Logged
tjump
Global Moderator

Re: Navigation Board M3
Reply #1 - 05/29/11 at 11:39am

I have received no information from the developer of the Nav board regarding the newer board so only by testing will you know if the current SRV firmware will operate the NAV board (this needs to be done by the user as testing NAV boards is not on our to-do list for SRV at present). On board specific support (i.e. USB interface) you will need to get these directly from the developer (the SRV does not support USB communications).

T. Jump

IP Logged
PhaseSpace

Reply #2 - 06/03/11 at 6:29pm

What is best way to hook up this up to SVS board? I2C?  

How does the firmware engage this board, and what information can I get back?

IP Logged
tjump
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 06/03/11 at 8:59pm

You'll need to contact the Nav board developer for install instructions. As I mentioned previously I have no experience with the Nav board.

T. Jump

IP Logged
PhaseSpace

Reply #4 - 06/04/11 at 6:49pm

Does the firmware provided speak to the navboard at least?

IP Logged
tjump
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 06/06/11 at 4:28pm

It spoke to the old Nav Board. I have not received nor tested the new Nav Board so I can only give confirmation to the old Nav Board.

T. Jump

IP Logged
PhaseSpace

Reply #6 - 06/06/11 at 6:19pm

Ok, thanks for that. Is there any documentation on how it spoke to the old one, and what information it grabbed? I suspect there are no changes. I ordered the nav board from surveyor corp. so I assume it should work.

IP Logged
tjump
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 06/06/11 at 8:18pm

Any documentation I would have would be what I can find on the forum or with general internet searches so I will leave this to you. We can always hope the new NAV board works with the latest firmware, but if the developer of the NAV board has not been testing with current firmware there is no guarantee here.

T. Jump

IP Logged
PhaseSpace

Reply #8 - 06/06/11 at 11:10pm

So is the company no longer updating the firmware for supporting this board?? Surveyor corp is selling it, so I am just confused as to what is going on with it.

IP Logged
tjump
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - 06/15/11 at 5:58am

As per my original posts on this topic, the NAV board is developed by a third party and they are responsible for support of the NAV board. I verified with Surveyor that the newest version of the NAV board is compatible with the latest SRV firmware. If you need NAV board support go to the NAV board site:

http://www.ryanmechatronics.com/NavBoardM3.htm

T. Jump

IP Logged
PhaseSpace

Reply #10 - 06/16/11 at 12:23pm

Okay, thanks for that. Things are a little more clear now.

IP Logged
Mr_Yan
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 09/23/11 at 7:23pm

Hi,

Haven't checked in with the site in awhile, and saw this thread.  Unfortunately, we don't really use an SRV-1 and aren't totally familiar with the code.  However, we did provide files that could be used on the SRV to read the gyro components on the new Nav Board.  

The files and a description can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/surveyor-srv1-firmware/issues/detail?id=4

In order to use the Nav Board with the SRV, you have to blank program the ARM on board to take it out of stand alone mode (OR, keep the RESET to GROUND jumped, which will probably keep the ARM out of the Blackfin's way).  Instructions for programming the NAV board to do this are in the user manual on our site.

Thanks, and if you have any Nav Board specific questions, please email us at:

support@ryanmechatronics.com

Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print